Monday 22 June 2015

Nosh for Busy Mums & Dads by Joy May


Although I like cooking I do prefer meals that are pretty simple and do not use too many ingredients, especially if they are items I would never normally buy and most of it would got to waste. To that end I don’t tend to buy cookery books as they generally only include no more than ½ dozen recipes I would want to make. I usually find inspiration from the internet or in free magazines.


This recipe book did however catch my eye and looking through it I found a large number of recipes I would make. I liked the fact it was simple, everyday meals that used ingredients that I would normally buy.  The book also gives you four sample weekly menu plans and the shopping lists associated which is great for when people haven’t got the time to sit down and plan a week’s meals and shopping.


The book is split into different sections like quick bites, something for the weekend and budget days but I ending up disregarding the headings as some of the quick bites recipes take longer than those in the ‘Something for the weekend’ section. To me a ‘quick bite’ is something that can be prepared and cooked within 30 minutes.

The recipes are clearly laid out and easy to follow and I like the fact that they use mugs for measuring as it saves a few minutes with getting the scales out and setting them up.

I have made several recipes from this book and even Matthew who is extremely fussy has enjoyed them. The family favourite is Pastitsio but we have also enjoyed Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pie, Beef Ragu and the One Pot Beef Cobbler.

This book is rapidly becoming my go to book for inspiration when meal planning and I am going to try and do at least 3 new recipes a month from it as well as favourites from it.

This book is ideal for the busy home cook who does not have a lot of time to spend   around in the kitchen and for those who need inspiration. I would also say this book is ideal for those who are wanting to cook more meals from scratch but would class themselves as beginners.

No comments:

Post a Comment