Monday 6 July 2015

Menu Plan (6th July 2015)



Menu Planning is something I have been meaning to do for a while, especially as our lives have become busier over the past few years. We are also looking to save some money to put towards a new roof. One of the biggest areas I think we can save money on is food. We currently do not have a budget but I have added up how much we have spent over the last few months and I found it to be a ridiculous amount. It thankfully isn't as much as the participants on the recent TV programme that I think was called 'Eat Well for Less' but it was still a lot more than I thought it would be.

I have to admit that I am an impulse shopper and walking round the supermarket can be lethal. Craig is even worse than I am, especially with the special offers. There have been some months where we have had to use the shelves in the garage to store some of the things we have bought as there is no room in the cupboards. 

I am hoping that my looking through my cupboards and freezer then preparing a menu plan and shopping list will help me cut my monthly food spend drastically. To avoid the impulse buys I am also going to start ordering my shopping online and picking it up from the store. I won't bother getting it delivered as my local supermarket is only about a mile away and I will use less money in fuel picking it up then I would by paying the delivery charge.

So my first menu plan looks like this

Monday- Steak and Salad
Tuesday - Steak pie and chips ( already in freezer)
Wednesday - Kedgeree
Thursday - Chicken Fajitas
Friday - Crispy Lamb with Jacket potatoes (from Nosh cookbook)
Saturday - Chicken Pittas
Sunday - Spaghetti bolognese (from scratch)

I am linking up with Mrs M  where I will also be checking out what other people are doing for future inspiration.

4 comments:

  1. Once you get into meal planning it will become second nature! I admit it is a mither at first and finding good recipes can be a pain sometimes (Pinterest to the rescue :D) but building up a collection of faves is very handy. It's also lovely having all your meals organised for the week, no last minute running to the shop or standing thinking, "what am I going to make!?" And if you don't fancy something one night, swap it with another night ;)
    Enjoy yourself and have a good week, that's a good plan there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only hope I can keep it up. I was thinking of planning a month at a time as I do have loads of recipes I have been meaning to try.

      Delete
  2. I found meal planning helped to cut my spending massively! You've got a fab week planned so best of luck :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was quite a shock when I added up how much we were spending each month and definitely more than we needed to.

      Delete